Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2010 hospital visit

Since Ian was born in 2007 we have had a hospital visit every year. Ian and I in 2007, Patrick in 2008, Samantha in 2009, and now our sweet little Ian had his own hospital stay of 3 days in 2010. We have been so lucky to have gone so long without any real complications from his metabolic disorder but I guess since the boy is getting bigger and we are doing more things we are finding he can't handle a lot. We went swimming at Melissa's house one weekend and we weren't having him eat and drink enough for what we were doing. I really thought he was ok after we had dinner because he really ate a good amount of food, then he drank about 6-7 ounces of chocolate milk before bed. Sunday morning he woke up and had a few bites here and there, a little bit of milk and was acting fine. He went to the bathroom and I decided to test his urine. Well it immediately went to the highest level there was. I was so confused because he was acting fine. Patrick urged me to take him to the ER after we couldn't get a hold of our Dr. So off we went to the ER. We got there around 10am and after lots of tests, lots of phone calls between Dr's, lots of waiting,and lots of crying, Ian had an IV in place and we were checked into the hospital around 4pm. His CK levels were at 30,000 and he had a very high level of blood in his urine. It was a ton of fun...(NOT) chasing him around the hospital while he was attached to the IV. But after 3 days, 2 IV's (actually 3, but the first one didn't work) and several pokes for blood work, we were able to come home. The first 2 days Ian was sweet and acting his normal happy self. But that 3rd day he was not happy. Can't say that I blame him, but he was no fun to be around. We were very happy to come home!!!!! Here are a few pics we got of Ian while he was still his happy normal self.


3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Poor little Ian. It sounds so serious but he looks like it was nothing. What a stud! Wish we could have been there for you guys.

Bridgette said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all the trouble. Hope everything is better now. If anything like this happens again, please call if you need anything.

Don and Judy said...

I am late in seeing your post. What a nightmare!
I am glad that it is over and hope that it does not happen again. I know that is hard on the whole family,
and the extended family as well. We were pretty worried. I hope you have a fun summer.
WE LOVE YOU IAN!!