Monday, August 11, 2008
PATRICKS COMING HOME!!!
What a week!!! For those that don’t know, Patrick has been in the hospital since Wednesday. It all started last Sunday. Patrick said he felt tingly all over and a little weak. Monday morning he woke up and felt the tingling sensation even more and more weakness. I was at my brothers house in S.C. and Patrick called to find out who our Dr. was. He called me back a little later and told me that he was going to the E.R. He spent all day Monday at the hospital where they ran a million and one blood tests, EKG’s, MRI’s and with the possability of needing a spinal tap. I came home Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday he was getting worse. I took him to the ER Wednesday morning and by that night he was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome and treatments were started the next day. It is a very rare thing that they are not even sure why it happens, but it occurs after having a viral infection and it attacks the nervous system. By Thursday he could not move his legs at all and was feeling weaker in his arms and legs. We were nervous it would move up and affect his lungs, but thanks to all the many prayers that have gone out in his behalf he was able to hold strong. (I would not of been able to deal with seeing him on a respirator). Friday was a very bad day. He was his weakest and he even passed out on me twice. NOT GOOD!!! But Saturday came and he was able to move his legs a little. By Sunday evening he could get himself out of the chair and walk across the room. UNBELIEVABLE!!! He is still wobbly and will have to take some P.T. after he is released but we are all amazed at what he has been able to do in such a short time. He will have to have 2 more treatments. It is Plasma exchange. They are done like dialysis. He has a 6-8 inch catheter in his jugular. (as you can imagine it has caused much discomfort for the poor guy) They take out his blood, clean out the plasma that has been attacking his nervous system, puts some synthetic stuff back in the blood and puts it back in him. (I’m great with the medical terms, huh?!?) He will have a treatment today and one Tuesday. After his treatment Tuesday they will take that horrible thing out of his neck and we are hoping to get discharged. We are all anxious to have daddy home and well again. WE LOVE YOU PATRICK!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Alright,I guess I can't leave Mansfield anymore. I swear, I am NEVER there when you need me! What a bad friend! Anyways, I get back Sunday night, so next week I'll be home for whatever you need. I'll call you on Monday! Tell Patrick, we hope he feels better soon! Please keep us updated!
I can't believe they put a needle in his neck!! How uncomfortable... and weird! We are so glad he is doing so much better!! I heard about poor Samantha, too. Tell her we are thinking of her and hoping she gets better, too.
Patrick, I am so relieved to hear that you are on the mend! My heart has gone out to you as I imagined how difficult it must be to face such a trial. I am impressed by the strength and determination that I hear you have shown through the ordeal. We love you brother!
Post a Comment